Higher National Diploma in English
Professional Writing I HNDE Syllabus 1st Year 1st Semester
Nature and functions of written language (05/ 02 hrs)
- Identifying the difference between the spoken and written English and formal and informal English
- Identifying different types of texts and functions: descriptive / narrative / expository / argumentative / persuasive
Writing essentials (05/03hrs)
- Cohesion-unity of thought/relation between sentences in a paragraph and paragraphs in a longer text
- Clarity and precision: organising writing using a clear structure, content, layout, handwriting
- Spelling, punctuation, grammar, vocabulary
General guidelines for student portfolios (05/03 hrs)
Introduction: A collection of students’ work that demonstrates to students and others their efforts, progress and achievements. Students should have their own portfolios which can be a file folder.
- Have students date their samples as they write or revise them.
- Identify writing as “first draft” “revision” or “final copy”
- Check each folder regularly so that specific needs can be addressed as they arise
- Encourage students to share their writing with peers
Developing a paragraph (05/ 02 hrs)
- Provide different types of paragraphs. Ask students to find .topic sentence, supporting details, conclusion
- Instructions to write different types of paragraphs
Letter writing (10/05hrs)
- Understand the format of a personal letter and a formal letter
- Personal letters – express happiness / sorrow / exchanging news
- Formal letter – address, date, designation and address of the person, salutation, underlined subject of the letter, body of the letter (introduction, reason, request for action) conclusion, complimentary close, signature, name and address.
- Practice writing letters of request, letters of inquiry, letters of invitation, letters of thanks
- Language differences-provide examples
Practical writing (10/05hrs)
- Invitation cards
Help students with the writing process; planning, drafting, revising, proof reading and presenting
Professional writing (10/05 hrs)
- Memos-used for internal office correspondence. Provide a model to read and study the content (group work).
- Write a memo to members informing about the annual picnic.
- Agendas of meetings-Provide a sample-usually follow the same pattern.
Imaginative writing- dialogues (10/ 05 hrs)
- Write imaginary dialogues and act them out.
- Provide a new ending to a familiar story
- Use 3 or 4 familiar objects and get students to write an incident/situation involving them.